Respect Network Events 2017-18 Respect runs a programme of events for frontline workers, service managers, commissioners, funders, policy workers and researchers. Our events are practical and accessible, underpinning our three core strands of work: perpetrators of domestic violence, male victims of domestic violence and young people’s violence in close relationship; and support our ethos of high quality and safe service provision.
Cross-cultural training with perpetrators
24 January @ 9:30 am - 4:30 pm£120 - £156
This course challenges participants’ understanding of culture through self-reflection and experiential learning. The course aims to teach participants how to work with and understand culture, how to recognise and address the biases that can feed into practice, and how to overcome the barriers that can prevent effective work with perpetrators of domestic violence and abuse.
What will I learn?
- Participants will learn how to work with and understand different cultures, and how culture feeds into practice. The course aims to increase acceptance and help participants to:
- Understand the concerns and difficulties related to working cross culturally in domestic violence intervention work
- Explore the relationship between culture and other factors influencing clients’ use and justifications for domestic violence
- Understand how being aware of culture can reduce the potential for collusion and victim blaming unintentionally
- Practice motivating clients to choose to change their dangerous and abusive behaviours while supporting their right to maintain a sense of cultural identity
- Develop appropriate and holistic response pathways which respect clients right to a cultural identity
Who is this course suitable for?
This course is aimed at:
- Practitioners working with perpetrators
- Practitioners working with victims/survivors
- Sector workers who want to understand the impact culture has on those affected by domestic violence and abuse
- Professionals with a basic understanding of the dynamics of domestic violence and abuse
Book your place here